Organic farming is a sector of agriculture which has seen a constant growth in recent years. Through this website the Cyprus Organic Farmers Association provides all interested citizens with information on how organic farming contributes to the protection of our natural resources, to biodiversity and animal welfare, and how it helps in the development of rural aereas. You can use this website as a point of entry to find out about all aspects of the organic farming and download information materials. Latest news and uncoming events are listed in a dedicated section of the website. Whether you are a professional in the food sector, a farmer, a school teacher or an interested consumer – we invite you to browse our website and we hope it will provide you with the information you are looking for.
Elections results of 30 October 2013
The new elected committee of the Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA)
Lakis Pingouras – President
Vasilis Kyprianou – Vice President
Costakis Artemiou – Secretary
Costas Isaias – Cashier
Charalambos Kattimeris – Member
Stavros Triggides – Member.
Loucas Solomou – Member
Press release from the Cyprus Initiative Against Monsanto & GMO,s
Cyprus is demonstrating with the rest of the world, notifying that on the 25th of May many hundreds of thousands of activists around the world will demonstrate against Monsanto. Protests have been organised on 6 continents & in 36 countries with all types of events in 250 cities.
In Cyprus the protest will be held at Eleftheriea Square Nicosia from 11.00 till 14.00
OUR MOTIVES FOR PROTESTING
• Research has shown that the consumption of GMO’s ie Monsantos products may provoke serious health issues including, cancer & tumours, steralisation & genetic mutations.
• Very recently the American congress passed a law aptly nick named the Monsanto Protection Act. Amongst others this law protects Monsanto against any legal action due to harm caused to human health or to the environment through the use or consumption of any of their products.
• For many years now Monsanto has been funding companies & official agencies in an effort to obstruct the cultivation & distribution of organic products, making it almost impossible for farmers to make profit.
• Therefore strengthening ever more Monsantos global monopoly on food stuffs & also on global seed control. Monsantos GMO’s & products are clearly harmful to the environment, scientists have pointed out after years of research that the systematic disappearance of pollinating insects ie Bees could be directly linked to the use of GMO’s & pesticides.
OUR RECOMMENDED SOLUTIONS
1. The use of certified organic products & a marked increase in there cultivation &
2. The immediate restriction to the use of any GMOs.
3. Mandatory labelling of all foodstuff containing GMO ingredients.
4. The immediate nullification of the Monsanto Protection Act.
5. Immediate increase of independent testing on the effect of human consumption & the
impact on the environment of GMO’s.
6. Continual release of information of MONSANTO actions around the world.
NOTIFICATION TO MONSANTO & THE REST OF THE WORLD WE SHALL NOT STAND IDLE TOWARDS THE UNJUST & CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR OF MONSANTO.
WE DON’T NOT ACCEPT THEIR UNLAWFUL CORRUPT ACTIONS WHICH ARE SYSTEMATICALLY POISONING HUMANITY & THE PLANET, THIS IS WHY WE ARE PROTESTING AGAINST MONSANTO
On May 25, activists around the world will unite to March Against Monsanto.
– Promoting of Organic Production, Enhancing Youth Employment –
Under the Europe for Citizens programme, Sub-Action 4.4: Youth Support Systems –
Projects encouraging innovation and quality
• The Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA) is an official partner within POPEYE;
• Τhe Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA) will identify and involve 40 young people aged 15-25, living in its geographical area.
• Τhe Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA), in collaboration with local authorities and/or local associations of farmers, will identify and contact organic farmers potentially willing to cooperate with the project.
• The Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA) will organise a 5 days’ educational event for its participants, consisting in a 2 days’ seminar and 3 days’ training on ICT and digital mapping.
• 10 selected participants will contact the organic farmers of their geographical area and collect data about their geographical position, their features as producers and sellers as well as their characteristics as potential hosts of trainees.
• The group of 10 participants will set up a “national” webpage bringing together all the information collected on the ground.
• The group of 10 participants will organise a local event for disseminating the project results within the local community and especially among young people.
• The 10 participants and 1 representative from the Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA) will attend the final international event to be held in Strasbourg, capital of Europe and important city of a country deeply involved in the system of organic farming.
• The Cyprus Organic Farmers Association (COFA)’s group will be invited to showcase the results obtained during the project, with a particular focus on the involvement of its local community and local authorities in the project, on understanding its relevance and on planning its follow-up.
Organic Days in Cyprus?… Without organic farmers!!!
We are frustrated, and disappointed, by the behaviour of Marco Schlüter, director of IFOAM EU and employees of the Ministry of Agriculture engaged in Organic Farming.
They have decided to organize a conference in Cyprus named: “Organic days in Cyprus” and they have excluded our association. In other words they have excluded the 95% of Cyprus’ Organic Farmers.
Mr Marco Schlüter, and his organization can organize what they want but it is unacceptable to mention that they organize the event in cooperation with the Cyprus Organic Movement. The committee of COFA was elected and not appointed. We cannot accept anybody to represent us who was appointed as a representative of IFOAM EU in Cyprus.